Re: ATTN: '03 BBQ Caravan folks

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 09:43:59 EDT

""Norah Bleazard"" <norah.dml@bleazard.net> wrote in message

> Wow, reading all this about border crossings just amazes me. As frequent
> border crossers, we've never had a problem. All you need is a birth
> certificate and your driver's license. It's Canada, not a safari to the
> outer regions of Zimbabwe. Sometimes they ask to see your proof of
> citizenship, sometimes they don't. Crossing the border via airports is
much
> more difficult. Jason carries his passport when crossing as it's easier,
> but not necessary. I just carry my birth certificate and driver's
license.
> But you definitely need proof of citizenship, voter's registration cards,
> social security, etc. have absolutely no merit (especially at an airport).
> So if all you have is your birth certificate then you have no worries.

The problem that I had was that I sent the certified copy of my birth
certificate in with all my stuff to get a passport. (to make everything
easier ironically) I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to cross because
I didn't have a birth cert to give. I really appreciate everything that
everyone's done trying to help out by adding their knowledge. It's seemed
to be resolved now though, I talked to my mom again and apparently she's got
a certified copy that she's going to let me borrow, so it shouldn't be a
problem. I just wish she'd have told me the truth right off the bat.

I just wasn't sure what was required as I'd been to canada several times
before on just a driver's license but had heard from customs that you were
required to show more identification now, that's all.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L