Re: ATTN: '03 BBQ Caravan folks

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 10:10:39 EDT

Terrible Tom said:

> Josh - I'm going to do some investigative work tomarrow to
> see if I can't make sure you will be able to cross the border. Adam? Any
> assistance you might be able to offer would be appreciated. Specifically
> the
> phone number to whatever canadian goverment agency I can call to try and
> figure out exactly what is required for border crossing.

Technically, the rule is that you need to be able to show proof of
citizenship, which usually means either birth certificate or passport.
Not residence... you have to be able to prove citizenship (they're not the
same). Usually when driving they don't worry too much about it, but they
do have the power to check and detain you if they want to.

Personally, I'd be more worried about getting back to the US than about
getting in to Canada, especially with all the Homeland Security changes
that have been happening. My impression is that Canada is always happy to
welcome tourists who might be spending US dollars, but US Immigration
doesn't want to take you back unless they have to.

The first time I flew to Toronto way back in '97 I stupidly forgot my
birth certificate at home. No problems getting in to Canada, but US
Immigration really didn't want to let me go home. I had my Social
Security card and a voter's registration card in addition to my driver's
license. None of that made one iota of difference to the agent at the
airport. She ended up looking up my file on the computer and
interrogating me about all of my personal info ("what's your SSN, when and
where were you born, where did you go to school, where do you work", etc.)
 No idea if that was all in her computer or if she just wanted to see how
I reacted.

If you want other stories comparing US vs. Canada border crossings, I have
a couple that I won't bore you with right now. Ask me about Alaska some
time.

> Also - I read on one web site while
> researching border crossings - - you ARE allowed to bring a certain amount
> of
> alcohol across? is that true? Lemme know if anyone knows. I wanted to
> bring a case of local brew for those interested.

Sure. They sell the stuff at the duty free shops even. There's a limit
on the amount you can bring over before they start taxing you on it, but
they let you bring it across for personal use (meaning they don't want you
starting up an alcohol importing business without paying taxes on it).

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer