RE: next Dakota purchase

From: Brian T. Carter (Brian.Carter@texian.org)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 13:01:01 EDT

Thanks for the answers Andy (and others).

The discussion (elsewhere) on a 5.7 HEMI in the Gen III Dak was unclear
on the fit and degree of modifications required. One person claimed it
wasn't much bigger than the 4.7, just taller. Someone else said the real
challenge was fitting (IIRC) the auxiliary oil pump and some additional
attachments to the 5.7. The implication was that, at best, you might be
able to do it with a aftermarket hood and some funky plumbing in the
engine compartment.

The HEMI is more of a pipe dream anyway...by the time I can/would do it,
I will probably be more interested in getting a Gen III RX-7 and/or
older Viper - or something along those lines. Perhaps if some
aftermarket supplier comes out with a new subframe or 'easy' method of
doing it. I am on the bleeding edge of computers at work, I have little
desire to bleed at home blazing a new path on my truck (unless it is to
a deer).

On the transfer case, I am a little confused. The impression I had from
the Dodge site was that the NV244 was the heavier duty optino. So, do
you mean it slips when on hard surfaces (AWD), but that you can then
lock the dif for better traction on loose surfaces (like the Land
Rovers)?

If the NV233 is part-time, does it function like it does on my '00 QC (I
think) where the axles have limited-slip diffs and front wheels just
spin when the front drive shaft is disengaged or does it have automatic
locking hubs?

Quite a long time ago I read an article that discussed the different 4WD
systems from the Quattro (Audi) to the locking front hubs, to the diff
lock arrangement. I need to find that again, I forgotten most of it. I
vaguely recall that only LR was using a true front/rear diff lock
because it is very expensive, and that most of the domestic companies
used the front locking hubs (acceptable), but that others (suburu) had
no diff lock and therefore drove on all wheels but would slip so much as
to really be useless in serious off-road conditions.

My understanding is probably all messed up...it has been a while.

Thanks,
BTC