RE: RE: Novi-2000 Dyno #'s

From: Bob Mankin (bob@coralfarms.com)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 13:17:37 EDT

Scott, the race fuel, dry-iced I/C or water/alk injection are directed at
detonation control and once you have enough of any or all three you reach a
point of diminishing returns.

What I was trying to get at with Dave is the idea that you don't just stuff
maximum timing into a S/C motor until you reach the point of detonation.
Certainly using a stock PCM or even worse, a MP PCM with total timing of 32
degrees advance or better is not what you want in a blown app. And in his
case we're talking pump gas making the ability to take lots of timing
advance that much riskier.

In your 408 setup with the race gas etc. you might get a little more than
the 24-26 that I quoted earlier, but even if you could get 32 degrees total
without detonating, it's not likely that you would want to. You'll probably
be peaking that pressure sooner than you want creating "negative torque".

Once the motor is dialed in for A/F and detonation is under control, the
only tweak you want to make for spark advance is "tune for max torque"
whereas some people are think it's OK to just dial more in until just before
it detonates. That's not the right way to go about it.

Bob