Re: Durango Ball Joint complaint

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 03:40:44 EDT

On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 01:29 America/New_York, Gabriel A.
Couriel wrote:

> my mom saw this on TV tonight. seems this ball joint issue has gotten
> serious.
>
> http://www.nbc6.net/automotive/2349258/detail.html

of course we know that Ds and Daks have the same front suspension. and
D owners know it. and DC knows it. but will the NHTSA care? Should
they care? Does anyone happen to know the axle weights on unladen Ds
versus Daks? I wouldn't doubt if the shorter wheel base and what I'd
bet is a heavier truck adds a few hundred pounds to the front
suspension.

Also, I'm far from an expert on failed ball joints, but I'd think if
they were loose enough to try and come apart, you *have* to be having
drivability issues. 10:1 those who had catastrophic failures were
those who pay no attention at all to the mechanics of their ride, and
expect it to get them from A to B for 4 years 'till they trade it in on
whatever the next fad vehicle is.

don't get me wrong, though - I sure would like to see this result in
some improvements in the front end department. Especially with full
size trucks riding on IFS, too - an even bigger and heavier-duty market
for riveted on ball joints (only an assumption). uugh.

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech