Re: Durango Ball Joint complaint

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 12:06:11 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Wednesday, Jul 23, 2003, at 01:29 America/New_York, Gabriel A.
> Couriel wrote:
>
>> my mom saw this on TV tonight. seems this ball joint issue has gotten
>> serious.
>>
>> http://www.nbc6.net/automotive/2349258/detail.html
>

> of course we know that Ds and Daks have the same front suspension. and
> D owners know it. and DC knows it. but will the NHTSA care? Should
> they care? Does anyone happen to know the axle weights on unladen Ds
> versus Daks? I wouldn't doubt if the shorter wheel base and what I'd
> bet is a heavier truck adds a few hundred pounds to the front suspension.

The D is a lot more balanced than the Dak. While it's heavier, it's on
a shorter wheelbase and it actually does have weight over the rear axle.
  My Dak is within I'd guess 300 pounds of my father's D, but he's got a
far more balanced vehicle.

Short version: I don't think the front end load is much different
between the vehicles, unless you're comparing a D with a 360 to a Dak
with a V6 and manual tranny.

> Also, I'm far from an expert on failed ball joints, but I'd think if
> they were loose enough to try and come apart, you *have* to be having
> drivability issues. 10:1 those who had catastrophic failures were those
> who pay no attention at all to the mechanics of their ride, and expect
> it to get them from A to B for 4 years 'till they trade it in on
> whatever the next fad vehicle is.

Can't disagree. But balljoints should not be failing at the rate that
Dak and D owners have been observing, regardless of the severity of the
failure. Quick show of hands - how many Gen-III owners (2001 and older,
2002s and 2003s haven't been around long enough to fail yet) have *not*
had to replace some number of balljoints? I replaced the uppers on my
'99 (well, dealer did).