Re: Bleeding brakes

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 21:17:21 EDT

Hey, Ken.

<snip> Ok, question here. Was about to undertake replacing my rotors & pads
when I
> realized that I need to bleed the brakes when doing this. What's entitled
> when bleeding the brakes? Just want to make sure I can do it before I
> undertake doing the brakes, since I need the Dakota in the morning.
Which,
> I'm thinking I'm already too late, because I started lossening the brake
> hose line in the front right, and tightened it back down once I started
> losing brake fluid... I'm guessing that means I now have air bubbles in
my
> brake line now, and I have to bleed it either way now???<snip>

You really don't need to bleed the brakes to change the rotors & pads, but
you probably iallowed air into the line when you broke the line loose. You
should be able to tell if you've re-sealed the system & pump the brakes. If
they're spongey, you've got air - if not you're good to go.
If you don't have air, open the master cylinder & put you big ole c-clamp on
the outer pad to compress the caliper. Do it SLOWLY so you don't bubble any
fluid onto your paint. Then change the pads & rotor. Repeat on other side...
If they're spongey, You're probably gonna need another set of feet to help.
You'll need a can of brake fluid, a CLEAN clear jar & some rubber tubing - a
size that will barely fit over the bleeder fitting.
Fill the jar halfway with the new fluid. Put the hose on the bleeder
fitting & into the fluid. It has to STAY in the fluid at all times!
With the calipers on the rotors & the brake pads in & with the master
cylinder closed, have someone else pump the brake pedal til it's firm (or at
least less spongey), & HOLD THE PEDAL. Release the bleeder with a small
wrench and watch the jar for air. The pedal will go to the floor. Close the
bleeder & have the brake pedal pumped again & repeat until the brake pedal
is firm. Word of caution. After each time you close the bleeder, check the
master cylinder to make sure the level is up.
When you feel that you have the correct firmness in the pedal, top off the
master cykinder & seal it back up...
HTH,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
Averill Park, NY