Re: Design flaws or just things I am noticing since this is my first MOPAR?

From: Droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 23:09:38 EDT

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:56:39 -0400, <james.zito@ps.ge.com> wrote:

> OK have been mostly lurking for a while but I guess it's time to ask some
> questions.
>
> Vehicle 2003 Dakota Club Cab 2WD V-6, purchased in Jan has almost 11k on
> the
> clock.
>
> a. Although the AC does blow cold it feels like there is almost no air
> coming out of the outboard driver's side vent, the other 3 vents blow
> LARGE
> volumes of air.

The same thing happens in my truck. Seems to be the design of it. It
bothers the hell out of me. I like to have even air. I feel asymetricla
otherwise. :P

> 2. The truck handles very badly when traversing lumpy roads. It nearly
> went sideways when I took the 287 exit of 95 south. The bumps seem to
> override my steering input. This is the only vehicle I have driven that
> has
> this behavior.

That's called wheel hop. It's caused by both being really light in the rear
and having leaf springs. Because of the leaf springs, the axle tends to
twist forward and backward which makes it hop around even more. You can
calm a lot of that down with aftermarket items. Such as traction bars or
the ever popular roadmaster active suspension.

> iii. The mileage is terrible. Best tank of gas was 20 mpg doing 80 on
> cruise control on the NJ turnpike. Generally getting 16-17 mpg lately
> has
> dropped to about 15mpg. Is this just because the truck is set up to
> operate
> about 500 rpm under the torque peak? Or is the engine just that
> underpowered for the weight of the truck.

Hooray for a fellow NJ DML'er! Those numbers do suck. It might be because
you drive so fast. I had a 96 v6 and got about 17 mpg. But that was after I
slapped on a ported TB and K&N FIPK. Though 16-17 is about right for the
gen3 v6's when getting city mileage. Highway I think is around 19mpg. I get
about 16 with my 4.7. That's why I went for it over the 3.9. Not much of a
mileage difference.

> Jim
> no cute signature line yet

I think my signature will make up for you not having one. :D

--
-Droo
 Email: 03dakotaCC4.7_4x4@comcast.net

http://www.granroyal.org/dakota

2003 Dakota Club Cab 4x4, V8 4.7L, Manual Transmission Rhino Liner Alpine CDA-9807 CD/MP3/WMA Player Apline SPS-!70A 6 1/2" Speakers Alpine XM Tuner MTX Thunder 311D Amplifier Sony P5 8" Subwoofer Q-custom Enclosure Business Consoile