Synthetic Oil WAS: Ouch...this is gonna hurt (sales/quality)

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 00:48:40 EDT

Bill Pitz wrote:

> I've currently got about 43,000 miles on my '00 4.7.

  the potential for the synthetics clearing out the
> dino "patches" has always worried me a bit,

Well, I switched to Mobil 1 this past oil change, and I've found that
the consumption rate actually dropped, and the oil pressure has been
stronger. Most definitely, no leaks to the outside world developed.

> And then there's the people who say that you shouldn't switch to
> synthetic oil except in the beginning (after the break-in, of course).

Oh yeah... my truck is a 170,000+ km '92 V6. I think those people are
full of it. The only reason you wouldn't want to switch are the
aforementioned leaks, which can be fixed. Any good synthetic would be
completely compatible with dino juice, so that's out. There's no reason
to NOT reduce the rate of wear that your engine has experienced for the
past 43,000 miles.