RE: Flatbed trailer

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 07:59:46 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of
jon@dakota-truck.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 6:43 PM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: Re: DML: Flatbed trailer

   Although steel will rust, it is usually thick, it takes a long time
for rust to compromise the integrity of the metal and there are many
different ways to fight it. Aluminum, although it does not rust, *will*
corrode. I think that what Neil was saying is that corrosion will affect
the lighter constructed aluminum trailer much more quickly than rust
would affect a steel trailer.
                                              -Jon-

The biggest difference is that my steel trailer is PAINTED. The shiny
aluminum ones aren't. One of the selling points is the shiny "aluminum
look".
One of the lessons from restoring railroad equipment for the last twenty
years is that the single best method for preserving an iron or steel surface
is a high quality, well applied, unbroken paint film.