Re: Be careful out there

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 16:50:27 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> While that's true enough, I want to take a minute to be serious here. I
> don't want anyone to start thinking of the entertainment value (never mind
> the collection fund) as encouragement to do dumb things.
>
> I've been thinking about how the BBQ seems to get bigger and crazier every
> year, and we always seem to be trying to top what was done last year.
> However, I don't think we need to top the events of this year's BBQ. Even
> without our own personal tragedy, I don't think anyone needs to try to
> compete with Tom and his submarine truck. When I looked at how steep the
> bank of the pond was, the only thing I thought was that it could have
> turned very ugly very quickly.

I didn't mean Tom's splashdown was entertaining, and I know he didn't do
it just to get laughs. Just the whole weekend with him, really, was
somewhat entertaining. And now I've got a story to tell about "hey,
this guy I know once put a truck together in a week and then..."

I've been thinking about it and *everyone*, SCORE and DML alike, played
it a lot safer this year than in years past. We had a lot of wreckage
last year and that definitely changed how people drove this year. The
only broken Jeeps I know of are the YJ with the U-joint (35" mudders on
a stock axle? that was waiting to happen) and Mike Cooper ('90 XJ, red)
with an alternator that finally gave up on Tuesday. You didn't see many
high-speed splashdowns in the pit. There were fewer attempts on the
lower waterfall.

I even heard Adam use the word "safe" a few times, and it wasn't in a
sentence like "this isn't safe but I'll do it anyway."

I don't think anyone wants to try to "top" this year's BBQ, unless that
means having more fun with less bad things happening.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------