Need Help! Charging system problem

From: Don Rey (don.rey@uconn.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 23:01:32 EDT

Okay so it didn't take long before I ran into a problem that I need the
DML's help with. My charging system is not charging. My truck stalled on the
middle of the highway today, going 65mph. The tach pegged the top of the
scale and stayed there (its still there... even when I started the truck on
different batteries the tach stayed maxed out). The immediate problem is
that the truck drains any battery I run it on. I started it on the minivan's
battery... the voltage (across posts) steadily dropped. Same with the
jumpstart battery I tried on it. The dash voltmeter reads lower than it
should... I'd say its reading around 10volts. Revving makes no noticeable
difference in dash voltmeter reading (also makes no difference in tach
reading... which still strikes me as odd. is that a related problem??) I
dont know what to do now except hope she'll make it to an autozone for alt &
voltage reg testing. Anything else I can try??? Thanks in advance!!

Don
74 Dart Sport 340
89 Dakota Convertible 4X4 (battery vampire)
www.pbase.com/radon220/my_dodge_dart
Connecticut