Re: Need Help! Charging system problem

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 05:50:14 EDT

OK Don, I just got into work and read your post so I don't know if anybody
else has replied or not. Quick way to find the battery drain, get a 12VDC
test light, disconnect the negative battery cable and connect the test
light between the battery lead and the negative battery terminal. Remove
the dome light (so it won't draw any power) and check to see if the test
light is lit. If so, disconnect the wiring harness going to the alternator.
If the light goes out, the problem is in the alternator. Take it to your
parts store of choice and have it tested and replace if needed. If the test
light remains lit with the alternator wiring disconnected, start removing
fuses one at a time until the light goes out. That will tell you which
circuit has the short and narrow your search down.

HTH and good luck,

Ray Irons
Dover, DE