Re: Custom Insurance

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 11:36:55 EDT

KenCo <ken@kencofish.com> wrote:
: bob wrote:
:>
:> Anyone have a lead on a custom insurance carrier that will insure me for
:> the extra's in my truck...Shit Farm...I mean State Farm won't do it
:>
:> Bob
:>
:> http://www.obsessivecompulsivedakota.com

: http://www.grundy.com/grundy_car_insurance.html

: they specialize in street rods / high HP and antiques.

    Unfortunately, IMHO, they suck, and are no friend of the automotive
hobby. :-( All of the "specialty" insurance companies I have checked
out (Grundy, Hagerty, yadda yadda yadda) are the same, despite their
claims to the contrary.

   Basically, if you want to leave your vehicle parked in the garage
and never drive it, these insurers are great. As soon as you drive
it though, you are basically uninsured. Yeah, I know you can drive
it to events, in parades, etc. but the policies are so restrictive
that it ends up being the same as if they stated that you can't
drive it at all. Its a nice day, so you decide to take your car
to the local hamburger stand for lunch. Sounds reasonable, right?
You're uninsured. Out for a pleasure cruise, and stop at the corner
store for some milk on the way home? You're uninsured. Basically,
you can only drive the vehicle occasionally for maintenaince/to keep
it in good running condition, or to car shows and in parades. If
you actually have a destination or a purpose in mind, you are not
covered. (I would consider having a vehicle which is only driven
to car shows a huge waste of money, and if that was the only way
I could use it, I wouldn't have them at all - its a VEHICLE, not
a piece of art, people!!) Argh - sorry, insurance companies make me
angry. ;-)

   Anyway, if you want a museum piece, these insurers are an inexpensive
way to go. If you ever want to drive the vehicle though, beware!!!! I
still have not found an insurer that will give me agreed value coverage
on a vehicle that they will actually let me drive.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'