Re: Re: RE: 2004 Dakota update!!!

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2003 - 02:21:51 EDT

Gary Hedlin wrote:

> It's about time DC got off their dead a$$ and put the obsolete dinosours to
> rest!! The 238 V6 was based on the 318 V8 (just 2 cylinders less), which
> has been arround since the 50's....if not longer.

It's called "the Iacocca years". Why do you think nearly EVERY car from
the era when the 239 was developed was based off the Reliant/Aries and
Omni/Horizon? It was a helluva a lot cheaper to base it off a proven
design that start from scratch.

Hell, the Magnum was just
> a fuel injected version of the LA's.

No kidding? Gotta remember, it has better heads, too.

And to top it off chrysler was way
> behind when they released it in 92 since Ford and GM already had fuel
> injected engines in the early 80's.

Yes, Ma Mopar isn't the quickest beast.

   Even the concept of overhead cams is a
> mid 80's product.

Try 70's, and it was mainly applied to inline engines. My buddy has a
1974 BMW 2002 with an overhead cam engine. The Chrysler 2.2/2.5s were
OHC engines, too.

On another note, I'm kinda excited that the Dak is getting a
higher-horse V6 - albeit no additional torque. I wouldn't mind a RC,
5-spd, V6, the perceived improvement in gas mileage might actually be
true. Of course, a 4.7 5-spd would be even better ;D