Re: W32.Blaster.Worm

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 15:09:59 EDT

VRMan wrote:

> If you have a firewall up, no problem. If you keep your XP/2K updated, no
> problem ( i check for updates weekly here at work). If not, update your
> virus program (i do ours here daily) and it'll find it.

A firewall is a false sense of security. Unless you're blocking those
ports (135-139, 445 and 4444), it can still get in. I didn't see anyone
attempting to get into my systems but I know the laptop I had that
caught it was getting out no problem though my firewall; 8 filters later
and I'm protected both directions.

I use a Linksys box for my firewall, not software.

Oh, and I got it while VPN'd into the office. So my firewall didn't
help there at all, and likely wouldn't have even if I had the filters
set up at that point. So just having one firewall somewhere isn't
enough. I'm just very lucky that the laptop didn't start attacking
internal (non-routable) IPs and come after my desktop, also behind the
firewall. The firewall's useless then.