Re: Axles, VIN report, WTF??

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 17:06:52 EDT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 02:27 PM, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Mr. Plow said:
>
>> Didn't you guys get the towing package with your latest Dak??
>
> Yep.
>
>> Cause i'm pretty sure that comes with the 9.25 rear axle. (Mine did)
>
> Not always, apparently. We've definitely got an 8.25" in the rear.
>
> I haven't been able to figure out the rules for when you get a 9.25",
> unless it just depends on which they have more of sitting on the
> shelves.
> I had heard that it was only with the manual transmission, but if you
> had
> one with an auto, that clearly isn't true. Maybe you only get it if
> you
> order the 3.92 gears from the factory.

well, I haven't measured my axle housing (nor would I know what to
measure), but I'm pretty certain that front and rear housings are the
same size, which ought to make them both 8.25".

as far as 3.92 gearing, I was *certain* that I had 3.92s. However, I'm
dealing with my front sieve/ differential right now, and pulled off a
tag that seems to say 3.55. so I'm rather confused......

jason/norah - I don't suppose you happen to have made note of what your
cruising speed RPMs were before and after the swap? if you happen to
know (roughly), I'd love to know at what speed and with what size
tires. my VIN won't tell me in the decoder on the site, and being a
used truck I don't have a window sticker. it's also not printed on the
door jamb label (though I did notice that my axles are rated with my
stock tire size on 15x6 wheels, not 15x7).

looking through the info sheet we did get with the truck...... I see
3.55 gears in an 8.25" Corporate with a rear anti-slip. 231HD transfer
case.... I also see it's being called radiant red and metallic red
clear coat. Isn't radiant red the fire engine non-metallic red? I'm
"deep garnet red".... it also tells me that I have power rack and
pinion steering. this is a '98. WTF?? I'm so confused....

I can deal with having had a wrong gear ratio stuck in my head from
somewhere (though I'd really like to know where) but the wrong color
name and an as-far-as-i-know-unavailable type of steering?

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech