RE: Axles, VIN report, WTF??

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 15:12:26 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net]On Behalf Of Michael
Maskalans
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 5:07 PM
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Subject: Re: DML: Axles, VIN report, WTF??

> I haven't been able to figure out the rules for when you get a 9.25",
> unless it just depends on which they have more of sitting on the
> shelves.
> I had heard that it was only with the manual transmission, but if you
> had
> one with an auto, that clearly isn't true. Maybe you only get it if
> you
> order the 3.92 gears from the factory.

>well, I haven't measured my axle housing (nor would I know what to
>measure), but I'm pretty certain that front and rear housings are the
>same size, which ought to make them both 8.25".

>as far as 3.92 gearing, I was *certain* that I had 3.92s. However, I'm
>dealing with my front sieve/ differential right now, and pulled off a
>tag that seems to say 3.55. so I'm rather confused......

Right now I can't lay my hands on the brochure for my '99 that lists all the
options, combinations and packages. But, if memory serves:
With 319 cid, AT, Heavy duty trailer tow, limited slip, and 3.92 gears, my
truck came with the 8.25" axle.
If I had included the heavy duty payload package in addition to the above, I
would have gotten the 9.25" axle.
If I had ordered a manual transmission instead of the AT, and not ordered
the payload package, the axle would have been a 9.25".
The decision matrix for the axle size is not a simple "either-or.
Also, references to "12-bolt" axle and other similar descriptions usually
refer to the number of bolts attaching the ring gear to the carrier, not the
number of bolts holding the cover on. In a lot of cases, a 12-bolt axle
coincidently happens to have twelve bolts on the cover but the are some
12-bolt axles the have ten bolts on the cover.

.