Re: Axles, VIN report, WTF??

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 00:48:25 EDT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 11:25 PM, andy levy wrote:

> Michael Maskalans wrote:
>
>> well, I haven't measured my axle housing <snip>
>
> How many bolts on your rear diff cover?

I'll have to go count....
10 bolts. the sticker in the glove box says it's an 8.25".

>> <snip> I did notice that my axles are rated with my stock tire size
>> on 15x6 wheels, not 15x7).
>
> The door label usually lists the lowest tire available on the whole
> line.

right you are. I hadn't noticed that it listed 215/75-15s as well.
the "215" to "235" isn't a large enough typographical difference =)

> As for RPMs, remember Jason & Norah have a different transmission (OD
> might be a different ratio) and different size tires. My '99 with
> 3.55s and the 31" tires turned about 1900 RPM at 65MPH.

they changed transmissions while I wasn't paying attention, too? does
the 4.7 get a 5 speed auto or something? in any case, your old numbers
pretty well verify that I have 3.55s, not the 3.92s I thought I had.
damn.... I still want to know why I was so sure I had 3.92s. my glove
box says 3.55s, too. oh well. maybe I just assumed the towing package
gave it the taller gears...

>> I also see it's being called radiant red and metallic red clear
>> coat. Isn't radiant red the fire engine non-metallic red? I'm "deep
>> garnet red"....
>
> Dark Garnet Red didn't come around till 2001. The non-metallic fire
> engine red is "Flame Red."

boy, I'm just way off base on this truck, then.... and there I thought
I knew what I was driving! Looks like I opened my mouth and removed
all doubt =)

>> it also tells me that I have power rack and pinion steering. this is
>> a '98. WTF?? I'm so confused....
>
> Through '99, 4x4s were recirculating ball and 4x2s were R&P. Starting
> in 2000, everything was R&P.

all right. I was quite sure of that. so this is rather odd. and I
know I don't have a freak rack hiding out under the front end. I spend
enough time under this damn thing that I'd have noticed by now =)

>> I can deal with having had a wrong gear ratio stuck in my head from
>> somewhere (though I'd really like to know where) but the wrong color
>> name and an as-far-as-i-know-unavailable type of steering?
>
> Have the VIN run through a dealership to get the definitive word on
> the truck.

this *is* off the VIN report they ran for us when we bought the truck
back in May '99. so I guess I'm still confused :-/ At least it's
about the steering gear, and it's something pretty well set in stone as
'wrong'. at least I know my paint color and axle ratios now. too bad
they aren't the same thing I woke up this morning knowing =)

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
Apple Campus Rep  -  ClassTech Consultant  -  Printer Tech