Towing and Gas Mileage

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 11:45:41 EDT

Michael Maskalans said:
> sounds like pretty crappy mileage, but with those 3.92s it doesn't
> surprise me too much.... don't forget that your truck, being a quad
> cab, is quite a bit heavier than many others here, too. I don't have
> any numbers to directly compare to, though (read on).

Understood. Hell, the gas mileage is the only complaint I have with the entire
truck. I knew I wasn't going to get excellent mileage going in, so it's no big
deal. I'd just be interested in possible ways to improve it.

> I know mine (98 CC 318 4x4 3.55) has performed admirably. for heavy
> loads (I wouldn't put your sailboat in that category), I'd really
> prefer to have the 3.92s, and the 'soft' rear springs could use some
> help when tongue weight is high (roadmaster? air bags? weight
> distributing setup? overload springs?). I rarely tow anything wide,
> but auxiliary mirrors are certainly a must with something more than
> about 7'.

What would you consider a heavy load for your truck? According to my owners
manual my truck has a tow capacity of 5,700#.

I've thought about putting some heavier springs on my truck. I don't know what
you guys consider high tongue weight, but my current trailer is probably
somewhere in the vacinity of 350#-550#.

I hadn't thought about auxiliary mirrors, but that's definitely something to
consider. The trailer I'm towing now is definitely wider than the truck.

A couple of pictures of the trailer hooked up to my Dakota:

http://intranet.quigley.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=loadmaster&id=aac
http://intranet.quigley.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=loadmaster&id=aad

Anyone know of any auxiliary mirrors that work well with our trucks?

> if you're looking to mod your truck, keep in mind that a loud exhaust
> will start to drone more than it normally would when overdrive is off
> and revs are high. also, if you do duals out the back, it'll reflect
> off the trailer and be far louder. watch going for too much flow, too,
> otherwise you'll knock out the all-important low end torque. I've also
> been impressed with the towing performance mode that my SuperChips PCM
> programmer gives me, but they don't have anything out for the new
> engines (3.7/4.7/Hemi) yet.

I really don't know what I would consider doing to my truck, yet. I've never
been much of a "car person". I'm here to learn!

> there are certainly people here with a lot more Dak-based towing
> experience than I, so I'll let them fill in the massive blanks I've
> left.

I appreciate you taking the time to pass along the information you have...

Michael
01 QC 4.7L 4x4