Re: RE: '01 4x4 Quad Cab (Gas Mileage, Towing)

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2003 - 16:50:34 EDT

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:10:21 -0400, michael9@michael9.com ("Michael
Quigley") wrote:
>> I made a freeway run yesterday and averaged 17-18, which is some of
>> the best mileage I've gotten to date. This is the first long run I've
>> made since adding the tonneau. I used to see around 15-16, so this is
>> a pretty noticable difference. The other thing I noticed is that when
>> driving through windy areas (Golden Gate Bridge and the areas to the
>> immediate north), there isn't nearly as much force pushing the truck
>> around as there used to be. (Of course, a lot of this is probably
>> also due to the fact that I replaced the shocks)
>
>Sweet! I'm actually giving some thought to putting a hard cover on mine. It
>came from the dealership with a set of bed rails, so I'll have to remove
>those.

I thought about a hard tonneau... Definitely nicer looking and more
functional as a cover, but I was sold on the easy removability of a
soft cover. I got the Downey LTD (hinged) and have been pretty happy
with it... except that I can't get it set all the way down in the
back. Either my rails aren't even or the cover rails are bent.

This is always an interesting URL to point out when talking about
tonneaus and mileage:
http://mars.wnec.edu/~ehaffner/did.htm

>> I've got an '00 CC 4.7 4x4 w/3.92s also. How many miles do you have
>> on your truck?
>
>11,000.

Although you've already got things broken in, I'd say there's still a
pretty good possibility that your mileage will increase a bit as time
goes on.

>Indeed. I do tend to drive extra carefully and extra gently when towing.
>
>Thanks for the advice!

I should mention that I average between 10-12 mpg when towing my
boat... so you ought to be able to get a bit better than that when
empty :)

-Bill