Re: '01 4x4 Quad Cab (The Whole Story)

From: Michael Quigley (michael9@michael9.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 21:33:48 EDT

andy levy said:
> Oh, we'll change that fast. You'll be broke soon.

Keep in mind I've got a similar addiction, involving boats. I just spent a
chunk of cash on a serious sailboat trailer. So, be gentle with me. ;) I need
to spread the love across both the boat and the truck.

> Very nice! Only one question...leather? On a truck?

*laugh* I actually like it. I didn't pick out all of the options for this
truck...

My last sailboat was smaller and lighter. Originally, I was towing it around
behind a 97 3.8L V6 Firebird. The boat only weighed 1,100#, so the Firebird
did an adequate job of pulling it. I definitely got a lot of funny looks,
though. :)

So, I spent 6 months looking around for a more suitable tow vehicle. I was
also getting sick of the Firebird. It was a fun little car, but I wanted
something a little more substantial--a truck--that would pull the boat better.
All of the other mid-size trucks were underpowered and seemed like toys. The
Dakota was the only serious mid-size that I could find. I wanted a V8. I had a
few options picked out along with my color choice. So, I went ahead and
submitted quote requests to a bunch of the local stealers through the Dodge
web site.

One of the local stealerships had exactly what I'd requested, plus a bunch of
other option packages and doo-dads (like the leather, 6-way-power, bucket
seats) and a sliding back window (which I almost never use--so far). They made
me a reasonably good deal on it, so I bought it. I've been happy ever since.
Now I've found you folks and I have the feeling my relationship with my Dakota
is about to change. ;)

I've also moved up to a larger, heavier sailboat. The larger, heavier sailboat
now has a larger, heavier sailboat trailer. And so on. I'm planning on
sticking with this boat and this truck for a good long while. When it's all
said and done it's a nice little rig for exploring and going on adventures. I
definitely have a lot of enhancements planned for the boat and I'm sure I'll
have enhancements coming up for the Dakota.

Michael
01 4.7L 4x4 QC