RE: Burnt Valve

From: RayB (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 03:12:57 EDT

Had stock heads massaged this spring. No cracks, bowls blended, SS valves,
1.97 intake valve, 5 angle valve job, .020 cut on heads, intake ports
matched to manifold, stock head gasket == 3 tenths and 3 mph with no loss in
60' times. Still running stock heat range plugs, stock TB and 92 octane
(and a waaay too tight torque converter). By comparison, a friend
installed the R/T heads (conservatively massaged by Indy cylinder heads) on
his 2000 R/T, along with a hotter cam (don't know the specs) and picked up
only 3 tenths as well.

The moral, in my opinion, is the ports in the R/T heads are large enough
that there will be some loss in low end performance without steep gears and
a high stall converter. Definitely not right for a street driven 318, in
my humble opinion. :-) Find me a quicker and faster, street driven,
automatic 318 and I might change my mind. ;-)

RayB