Re: Re: Time to get the truck inspected..... (bit long, rant)

From: jdurling@bellsouth.net
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 20:46:54 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <jon@dakota-truck.net>
To: <dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: DML: Re: Time to get the truck inspected..... (bit long, rant)

> I went to visit my brother recently who lives in Florida - as I was
> driving behind him, I noticed that he had no brake lights! Once we
> got back to his house I pulled his lenses out, had no bulb on one side
> and a burned out bulb on the other. I bought him a couple of new bulbs
> and replaced them, but unfortunately the lights still didn't work -
> fuse was fine, looks like whatever energizes that circuit when the brake
> pedal is pressed wasn't working. I didn't have time to get into it any
> deeper than that, but he promised he'd have the techs at the auto
> dealership where he works take a look at it!
>
> I don't know if anyone else has ever driven in the Fort Lauderdale/
> West Palm Beach area, lets just say I'm surprised he hasn't been rear
> ended yet!!
>
> Anyway, I guess that didn't have much to do with the topic - the
> mention of Florida and no inspection triggered that little memory. :-)
>
> --
>
> -Jon-

Jon, down here in the Ft. Lauderdale area we had inspection up until two
years ago. One of five counties that didn't meet epa clean air standards so
we had to go through until they got inline. Funny thing was we had cleaner
air the last 8 years than most of the counties in the state. Anyway it was
just a sniffer test so they never checked anything else. I habe seen people
at the inspection station that didn't have any rear brake lights and still
pass. Also, your brother was the norm, have the idiots (not your brother)
don't have rear brake lights along with working headlights. Heck, you'd be
surprised how many times I have seen a vehicle on the raod that was
extremely unsafe (as in falling apart).

BTW, when were you at your brothers? Did you sneak a trip down without
telling anyone down here? Still waiting for you to come down this way. If
you have time maybe a cruise to the Tower Shoppes (if form the area you know
the cruise) or at least a mini meet.

Jeff Durling