Re: Weird steering noise

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Aug 24 2003 - 23:38:02 EDT

"Valentin Garcia" <valentingar@msn.com> wrote:

: Hey gang, just when you think all is well and your Dak is doing just
: fine..... something has to creep up on you! Actually in this case "creak".
: Today as I was pulling out of my driveway to go to work I notice a somewhat
: loud creak as I was turning the steering wheel (about a 90 degree turn from
: dead center) It makes that noise when I turn it either way. I have no idea
: what to do. I looked under the hood, and got a look underneath the truck
: will my wife turned the wheel, but I could not locate the source of the
: creak. I did notice however that the truck squeaks very loud when you push
: down on the bumper (think old spring mattress). Could it be low on
: powersteering fluid? How would I check that? I have not noticed any fluid
: leaks on my driveway. The Dak's got about 16500 miles on her. Any pointers
: would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

   Not sure about the creak, but as far as the power steering fluid goes,
there should be a cap right on the power steering pump itself that says
"power steering fluid", or something along those lines (would probably be
behind the pulley closest to the battery). Anyway, if you unscrew this
cap, there should be a dipstick built right in it with two marks, one
labeled "cold", the other labeled "hot". These are the "full" marks for
the power steering fluid, if the engine is hot, use the "hot" mark, if
its cold, use the "cold" mark.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'