Re: Weight Distributing Hitches.

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 22:04:19 EDT

"Michael Quigley" <michael9@michael9.com> wrote:
[...]
: From the little bit of net research I've done since I got Jon's advice, it
: does sound like a weight distributing setup is a good way to go. I've also
: written to the folks who designed and built my trailer for their input on
: these systems. If they don't see a reason not to, this sounds like the way
: I'll likely proceed.

: Are there any downsides to these systems? Are they a pain to set up each time
: I'd want to pull the boat?

   No - there is a setup procedure you need to go through when you
first connect the trailer to the truck, but once its set up you don't
need to touch it. Hooking up the trailer with a weight distributing
setup takes maybe an additional 30 seconds. You put the trailer on
the ball, hook up the safety chains, electric, etc. as usual, the
only additional step is to insert the torsion bars in the hitch
receiver, hook the torsion bar chains up to the connectors bolted
onto the trailer, snap them into position and install their retaining
pins. Takes longer to describe than it does to do it. :-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'