Weight Distributing question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 22:23:26 EDT

  What with all the discussion about weight distributing trailer
hitches lately, I have a question of my own which I have been
wondering about...

  Since the weight distribing system essentially ties the the trailer
to the truck almost like a single unit, does one have to be careful
when doing something like backing into a driveway which is at a steep
angle to the street? Unless I am mistaken, the weight distributing
system will try to lift the rear wheels of the truck off the ground;
is it possible to bend a torsion bar or damage anything doing this?

  Here is a drawing showing what I am talking about:

    http://jonsteiger.com/www/misc/wdtrailer.jpg

 (No fair making fun of the drawing!) ;-)

  Since the WD setup resists bending in an up and down way, I wonder
if driving through a "dip" such as is commonly found between the street
and a steep driveway could harm anything? Might it be a good idea to
disconnect the bars before backing a trailer into such a driveway?

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ------. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | 70 Cuda, 90 Dak 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dak, 96 Intruder 1400, 96 FireFly | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'