Re: Weight Distributing question

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 00:09:33 EDT

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:23:47 -0400, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Since the weight distribing system essentially ties the the trailer
>to the truck almost like a single unit, does one have to be careful
>when doing something like backing into a driveway which is at a steep
>angle to the street? Unless I am mistaken, the weight distributing
>system will try to lift the rear wheels of the truck off the ground;
>is it possible to bend a torsion bar or damage anything doing this?
>
> Here is a drawing showing what I am talking about:
>
> http://jonsteiger.com/www/misc/wdtrailer.jpg
>
> (No fair making fun of the drawing!) ;-)

Ok.. Instead I'll modify your drawing to pose a question of my own :-)

It's basically the same situation for me. I have a fairly steep
driveway that I back my trailer up. The safety chains usually drag on
the ground if that gives you an idea of how steep it is. In fact, one
time I made a little groove about 3" long in the asphalt where the
outdrive on my boat scraped the driveway when I went up at too little
of an angle.

Here's a modification of your drawing to give a basic idea:
http://www.billpitz.com/temp/wdtrailer.jpg

And here's an actual picture of my driveway with arrows indicating
where I back in and where the trailer goes ...
http://www.billpitz.com/temp/driveway.jpg

So, would a weight distributing setup cause a problem with this
situation?

-Bill