Re: Weight Distributing question

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 10:33:30 EDT

Well, I'm not an expert, but I'll share my experiences.

Note: if anyone reading this is going to be using a friction-based sway
control setup, DISCONNECT IT before backing up. Just wanted to get that
out there.

jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> Since the weight distribing system essentially ties the the trailer
> to the truck almost like a single unit,

Actually, the torsion bars act as a spring which resists sag. The way I
had to think of it before I finally understood how they worked was to
imagine a giant coil spring between the tailgate of the truck and front of
the trailer, pushing them apart.

> does one have to be careful
> when doing something like backing into a driveway which is at a steep
> angle to the street?

I had no problems backing up in to our driveway.

> Unless I am mistaken, the weight distributing
> system will try to lift the rear wheels of the truck off the ground;
> is it possible to bend a torsion bar or damage anything doing this?

I'd guess if you were doing some extremely radical angles it might be a
concern, but you probably aren't going to get those kind of angles without
a pintle anyway. With a traditional ball, you're limited on the angles
with or without weight distribution.

It will put more tension in the torsion bars, but it's no worse than
flexing the front suspension on a 4x4 Dak. The bars aren't strong enough
to lift the rear wheels of the truck off the ground, they're just designed
to relieve a couple hundred lbs of tongue weight.

> Might it be a good idea to
> disconnect the bars before backing a trailer into such a driveway?

My guess is that you're better off with the weight distribution, as you'll
be less likely to bottom out and drag the hitch.

--
Jason Bleazard  http://www.bleazard.net  Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you read the disclaimer? http://www.they.com/disclaimer