Re: Even More Viper Fan Questions...

From: JAMEPC@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 27 2003 - 21:51:51 EDT

On low speed the fan draws about +/- 22 amps and high draws about +/- 40
amps. Here is the link to a scematic designed by Bill N. that I used. <A HREF="http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/viperwiring8.jpg">
http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/viperwiring8.jpg>
I got all my parts from Waytekwire.com (also as per Bill)
3 Bosch High Capacity Relay#75011
3 Relay Connector #75280
bunch Terminals for relay connectors #31073
1 U-Barrel crimp tool #419 (this is specially made for u-barrel
terminals. Regular crimpers won't bend the tabs over the wire)

Hers's some additional parts Bill used from Waytek (I got locally)
46551 CIRCUIT BREAKER 50 AMP
23541 CIRCUIT BREAKER BOOT YELLOW
46041 MINI FUSE HOLDER

I tried Mopar relays but high speed blew them out.
I used 10 ga. for the power wires and 16 ga. for the relay control wires.

Hers's the link to Bill's mods to the fan shroud for his Gen III. My gen II
didn't need any trimming except a small part on the bottom and the water pump
stud cut off.
 <A HREF="
http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/viperfan.jpg">http://home.comcast.net/~billnis/dakota/viperfan.jpg>

If you go to the DML archives and go to April 2003, select Author and scroll
down to Bill Nissley, you'll find more info than you'll know what to do with
and more scematics. A lot have to do with using a Saab temp switch (I have one
here for anybody that wants it). Also search by subject (Viper Fan) starting
in April 2003. I found V.8 to be the best for my needs and just installed an
on/off switch after the 10 amp fuse. This is the thermostat I used. <A HREF="
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=painless+thermostat">Buy
Performance Car Parts at Summit Racing!</A> (PRF-30111). It's just the replacement
thermostat because the entire kit is not needed. You may want to consider #30110
(200 on/ 185 off) because with the 185 on/ 170 off thermostat, you'll never
reach 170 degrees for it to shut off so the fan runs continuously. Also Hayden
adjustable thermostats are a good option.

It's a fun project!
James