Re: tonneau recommendations

From: Tubamirbls@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 10 2003 - 11:17:59 EDT

Hi Jim
     If I had a new truck I would opt for a spray-on liner and a rolltop
tonneau. It think that would be the best of both worlds. I have a MoPar drop-in
liner and an aftermkt fiberglass tonneau. Cleaning out the bed after hauling
dirty loads (sod, dirt, rock, yard clippings, etc) always means the cleanout
water is left under the liner to work against the paint and steel. The spray
on products now are remarkably durable and cargo is much less prone to slide
around that's not tied down as with the plastic drop ins.
     My fiberglass tonneau is excellent however any cargo higher than the
already squat Dakota bed sides leaves it hinged partially open and in need of
support. It's heavy and of course a 2-man task to remove. Storage while off the
truck so it doesn't get damaged takes some extra care too.
     I gained almost one mile per gallon when I added the tonneau but picked
up probably 90# of added dead weight too. Switching to Mobil One oil added
about another half mile per gallon so between the two I am at least one full mpg
better off at today's local 87 regular selling for around $2.15
     My fiberglass tonneau has rubber weatherstripping around its
circumference so cargo stays dry even when washing the truck unless you pressure the hose
water around the tailgate. I assume the rolltops are weather tight too

Paul Sahlin