Re: Re: Updates.

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 20:14:20 EDT

Michael Quigley wrote:
> Wayne Allewelt said:
>
>>I have a 01 4.7 4x4 QC and the highest i've seen around town is 13 mpg and
>>that's on 87 pump gas and driving like grandma, which drove me crazy. The
>>experiment i'm trying right now is running higher octane gas. This past fill
>>up I put 4.5 gal of 110 octane unleaded and the rest with 92 octane. I did
>>this to help clean the fuel system for one and see if it gave the truck a
>>little more ummpf. It has given it a little more go, especially from a
>>rolling start. I won't know about the mileage till the end of the week. I'll
>>keep you informed. I bet you all are saying that it would be cheaper to put
>>in some fuel injector cleaner. I've done that and my mileage/performance
>>didn't show any noticable diff. at all. So I thought i'd throw in the moer
>>expensive stuff, what the hell the QC is worth it.
>

> Definitely let me know how it works out for you. I drive very short distances
> every day (I have a couple of mile commute). The majority of my driving is
> stop-and-go stuff. I usually average around 10 or 11 mpg according to the
> overhead computer. I do somewhat better on the highway, but still only get
> around 12 or 13.
>
> I think the next mod for the truck will be a better air intake. I might need
> to run some injector cleaner through it, too.
>
> Michael
> 02 4.7L 4x4 QC

Hmmm - your trucks sound too new to be needing fuel injector cleaner...
unless the gasoile in your necks of the woods is about as high quality
as crude oil... I did my first MPG averages with the new Ram and I get
a combined MPG of about 13. Assuming that my tires are the correct size
and that my speedometer is reading correct.

This is with about 850 miles of driving with 500 miles being open
highway. This is a full size Ram with a 360, auto, and 4.10 limited slip
gears, and Magnaflow catback resonator - and a VERY lose nut behind the
wheel. I would say your MPG definatly is not normal. The 4.7 even
with auto trannys should average better MPG than that. Its lighter -
more powerful and more efficent than the old 318s.

As for whats causing it? check all the obvious things - ignition
componants, tire inflation (which many people dont realize will REALLY
hurt your MPG if your tires are improperly inflated).

Also dont rely on the overhead computer for MPG accuracy. Do it the old
fashoned way. Miles driven divided by gallons used.

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/