Re: Re: Updates.

From: John Bell (john_bell_2@hushmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 22:35:45 EDT

Hmmm, that's not the first time I've heard of someone with the stock 4.7
setup on a 4x4 QC be unhappy with the mileage. Could be because it takes a
little longer to break in the 4.7 when new.

My rig is a '00 QC SLT+ 4x4 with the NV242 (full time transfer case), 5.9
Magnum, and 3.92 LSD setup. From the factory it would get 12mpg city and
14hwy if I drove like a little old lady. After about 30k miles I started
dropping in the mods because I'd had enough of that. My current mod list at
42+k miles is:

- 180deg thermostat
- Borg-Warner Select brass cap & rotor
- 8mm JBA plug wires
- Autolite 3923 plugs
- All synthetic fluids in the engine & drivetrain (Mobil-1 10w30 etc.)
- Intense Performance Stage III intake w/ 7" PowerStack filter
- Removed engine bay cover from the nose on the passenger side
- Shaved/ported/polished custom throttle body (about 50mm give or take) w/
S-Bolt (still kept the stock air hat)
- Custom 3" single in/out catback with a Magnaflow Turbo XL muffler
- Hypertech Power Programmer III using Hypertech tuning for 93 octane gas

With this setup i run in the mid 13mpg range city (14mpg if I baby it), and
around 16-17hwy (probably could get more if I could keep it at 65mph instead
of the usual 75+mph). It pulls like a mule and runs like a scalded ape.
According to my work buddy's G-Tech I'm putting about 210hp and 300ft-lbs
torque to the rear wheels (weight input given to include me in it and a full
tank of gas). Based on a guess of 25% drivetrain loss that puts me at 280hp
and 400ft-lbs shaft, up from 245/335 from the factory. Of course this was
measured before I changed out the fluids in the drivetrain so I need to do
another run, but I'm not expecting too much difference.

Give that new 4.7 a chance to break in. There are fellas here on the list
that are getting amazing performance and mileage out of them with very
little in the way of mods.

--
JB

"Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3F67A75C.5010708@earthlink.net... > > Michael Quigley wrote: > > Wayne Allewelt said: > > > >>I have a 01 4.7 4x4 QC and the highest i've seen around town is 13 mpg and > >>that's on 87 pump gas and driving like grandma, which drove me crazy. The > >>experiment i'm trying right now is running higher octane gas. This past fill > >>up I put 4.5 gal of 110 octane unleaded and the rest with 92 octane. I did > >>this to help clean the fuel system for one and see if it gave the truck a > >>little more ummpf. It has given it a little more go, especially from a > >>rolling start. I won't know about the mileage till the end of the week. I'll > >>keep you informed. I bet you all are saying that it would be cheaper to put > >>in some fuel injector cleaner. I've done that and my mileage/performance > >>didn't show any noticable diff. at all. So I thought i'd throw in the moer > >>expensive stuff, what the hell the QC is worth it. > > > > > > Definitely let me know how it works out for you. I drive very short distances > > every day (I have a couple of mile commute). The majority of my driving is > > stop-and-go stuff. I usually average around 10 or 11 mpg according to the > > overhead computer. I do somewhat better on the highway, but still only get > > around 12 or 13. > > > > I think the next mod for the truck will be a better air intake. I might need > > to run some injector cleaner through it, too. > > > > Michael > > 02 4.7L 4x4 QC > > Hmmm - your trucks sound too new to be needing fuel injector cleaner... > unless the gasoile in your necks of the woods is about as high quality > as crude oil... I did my first MPG averages with the new Ram and I get > a combined MPG of about 13. Assuming that my tires are the correct size > and that my speedometer is reading correct. > > This is with about 850 miles of driving with 500 miles being open > highway. This is a full size Ram with a 360, auto, and 4.10 limited slip > gears, and Magnaflow catback resonator - and a VERY lose nut behind the > wheel. I would say your MPG definatly is not normal. The 4.7 even > with auto trannys should average better MPG than that. Its lighter - > more powerful and more efficent than the old 318s. > > As for whats causing it? check all the obvious things - ignition > componants, tire inflation (which many people dont realize will REALLY > hurt your MPG if your tires are improperly inflated). > > Also dont rely on the overhead computer for MPG accuracy. Do it the old > fashoned way. Miles driven divided by gallons used. > > -- > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- > Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine > > "Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads > > '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 > '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4 > > http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ > http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/ >