Re: Dual-remote oil filtration system

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 19:56:18 EDT

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 05:45 PM, Ron Sobers wrote:

> Okay with all this talk of the dual remote setup - yes, Amsoil wants
> wayyyyy
> too much money for it when you can get one from Summit, Jegs, Checkers
> for
> about $30 compared to their $200. But someone that regularly checks my
> oil
> (gas stops), I have noticed that when the engine is 'warm' the darn
> dipstick
> is scalding hot - I'm thinking of doing a remote filter, with a
> cooler. Has
> anyone done this, and what works best??? I keep thinking that I should
> keep
> this whole thing low in the engine bay, so as to not create a drainback
> situation, or trapped oil at oil changes.

coincedentally, my dual filter setup showed up here yesterday.. I
haven't had a chance to look at what I'll need to do for better hoses
or where I'll put it, but an oil cooler was also on my list of Good
Ideas to go along with the dual filters - though simply by having more
oil volume and having it flow away from the engine and back you're
already cooling it quite a bit.

anyone with experience have thoughts on this? and just what does high
oil temps do other than break down the oil faster?

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak.html>