Re: Dual-remote oil filtration system

From: David Henry (DML@HenryWeb.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 22:37:09 EDT

I've had the dual remote filter setup on my Dak since sometime in 95 or so.
For hoses, use Aeroquip or comperable braided stainless. For hose ends use
Aeroquip, Earls, Russel. If it's not race proven, throw it back. Either
that or change the hoses out yearly (or sooner) as the ones supplied tend to
pop in a couple years. I think I only replaced the hoses twice, and the
first replacement was with more crappy rubber hose until the good stuff
showed up. Fortunatly I did notice the oil pressure issue right away and I
was only a couple blocks from home when it went out after 2 years. I havn't
had any problems with the good stuff since then.

My filters are mounted on the outside of the frame rails on the passenger
side under the door. Not the best place but it's worked so far. There are
a few things help me get away with this. 1. 3" body lift allowed me to
move the filter up so the bottom of the filters is above the bottom of the
frame rail by a little over an inch. 2. There is a 1/4" steel bash plate
under the filters to help prevent them from getting wacked by anthing. 3.
3" steel nerf bars to help keep stuff away from a sideways direction. 4. I
know the filters are there, so I try not to abuse that region of the truck.

David Henry
94 Sport CC 4x4, 318, 5spd, Lifted on 33" BFG MT