Re: My truck and my first questions!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 22:32:22 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> don't know about the v6 vs v8, but my first mod was a FIPK. it helped
> my 5.2 start to rumble and certainly to breathe easier.

I am planning on getting a K+N OEM Filter repalcement... I'm not a big
fan of the FIPK set ups because I think its too easy to suck in water
splashing in the front of the truck and more prone to picking up heat
from the engine. The stock airhat set up on my Ram pulls air from the
passengerside fender. I think that would be more than adequit for air
flow. Certainly doesnt look restrictive to me. I think a K+N
replacement will do just font. Cheaper too.

> I dislike the poseur look, but I've been running a set of 80/100w xenon
> bulbs for 2-plus years now and they've helped a lot. I've had no switch
> failures, and have heard of no others, but make no guarantees ;-) I've
> also heard good things about the Sylvana silverstars (they were
> discussed about 2 weeks ago), but they're twice the price of my
> midnightmoose.com cheapie specials. having said this, I'll probably
> loose one or both of them next week, but I went through two sets of
> normal halogens before I put these in, and they've lasted as long as
> those two did put together. I think I've now had these for more than
> half the time I've had the truck.....
> --

We sell the silverstars at work and one of my coworkers says they are
the best thing since sliced bread. I have been pondering buying a set.
  However at $20 bucks a pop x 4?? (the Sport Ram has the quad bulb
headlights) Thats a pretty penny to spend on headlights. The Rams
headlights are far better than either of my Daks or the old XJ. I think
the only thing I have driven with better headlights is my moms 2002
Explorer 4 door. Kudos to Ford on that one. The previous generation
Explorers headlights SUCKED! I drove around on the highway holding the
highbeam switch ON with the low beams. Ford fixed that - enlarged the
lense reflectors, set it up on a 4 bulb system, and kept the low beams
on WITH the high beams.

Which brings me to my first planned major modd to the Ram... rigging the
factory fogs to stay on with the high beams :-D Should be a simple
matter to do with a relay and some butt splices.

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/