Re: My truck and my first questions!

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 20:17:15 EDT

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 09:42 AM, david.clement@verizon.net
wrote:

> 1. Are the cold air intakes such as a K&N FIPK system make a noticable
> difference? Also, will a system listed for a v8 work on a v6 too? I
> will at
> least switch to a K&N drop in for long term maintenance savings.

don't know about the v6 vs v8, but my first mod was a FIPK. it helped
my 5.2 start to rumble and certainly to breathe easier.

> 3. Are there any ECM upgrades available for the v6? Also, are these
> worth the
> investment?

the superchips programmer will work on the 3.9. not sure of the gains,
for that I'll defer to Josh, who uses one on his 2000 3.9.

> 5. I have been a proponent of synthetic motor oil for over 20 years
> and it has
> proven it self to me by giving me 200,000+ miles on a number of
> vehicles with
> no engine failures. I saw an article in one of the mopar magazines
> where they
> put a Dakota R/T on a chassis dyno and ran a base line then switched
> the motor
> oil, tranny fluid and rear end lube to synthetic materials and picked
> several
> hp on the next dyno run. Anyone have experince that making these
> changes also
> improves economy?

my economy has always been all over the place since I'm rarely driving
predictable patterns. however it may say something that it was only
after I moved to synth gear and t-case lube that I broke 17mpg. I hope
I can see another 100k out of this 5.2, too :-) It's been drinking M-1
since about 32k.

> 6. Not a power or economy question but; The headlights are not
> appreciable
> better than my 89 Dakota.

yeah, they suck. a lot. fogs will help immesurably, and I miss mine a
lot (they were crappy lights, and I went through two sets of them
before I put tow hooks in their place. avoid Blazers)

> Are the "xenon" or other super white bulbs that are
> available appreciable better? I have also seen "off-road" versions of
> these
> bulbs that are rated 80-100 watts on the high beam side. Can the stock
> wiring
> handle the extra current?

I dislike the poseur look, but I've been running a set of 80/100w xenon
bulbs for 2-plus years now and they've helped a lot. I've had no
switch failures, and have heard of no others, but make no guarantees
;-) I've also heard good things about the Sylvana silverstars (they
were discussed about 2 weeks ago), but they're twice the price of my
midnightmoose.com cheapie specials. having said this, I'll probably
loose one or both of them next week, but I went through two sets of
normal halogens before I put these in, and they've lasted as long as
those two did put together. I think I've now had these for more than
half the time I've had the truck.....

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech