Re: My truck and my first questions!

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 09:59:09 EDT

"Michael Maskalans" <mike-lists@tepidcola.com> wrote in message

> > 3. Are there any ECM upgrades available for the v6? Also, are these
> > worth the
> > investment?
>
> the superchips programmer will work on the 3.9. not sure of the gains,
> for that I'll defer to Josh, who uses one on his 2000 3.9.

I've used the superchips programmer for about 7k miles thus far. I drove
all the way from Chicago to Jon's back in July and experienced an average
MPG of 23.7 at 85+ mph using the 87 octane program. I'm running the 93
octane program now and didn't notice an extreme difference over the 87
octane program... There was definately a difference though. With the
performance program and premium fuel I'm able to really turn the tires over
from a dead stop, and can usually take my friend's Z24 cavalier... I've yet
to get it on the dyno again to see what kind of gains I'm experiencing, but
that should happen soon. I've been trying to set something up for the
Chicago area for a while but have had limited interest. I'll probably just
pay the money and have my truck done by iteslf.

You can check my web page for pics and my dyno results with an essentially
stock V6. When that pull was made, the truck only had a MSD 6AL box with an
Accel coil, nice plugs, and wires. I'd like to get back on the rollers
after I get my catback installed, that way it will play into the ported TB
and programming work.

> my economy has always been all over the place since I'm rarely driving
> predictable patterns. however it may say something that it was only
> after I moved to synth gear and t-case lube that I broke 17mpg. I hope
> I can see another 100k out of this 5.2, too :-) It's been drinking M-1
> since about 32k.

I've used Mobil1 for every oil change since 1,000 miles. I change it every
2500 miles as well. I've noticed no adverse effects, however it did run a
little cooler once I switched. I also noticed an increase in mileage when I
swicthed to Redline synthetic diff fluid, and again when I did the trans.
I'm using a so-called "blacklisted" trans fluid so I won't name it here, but
have had NO problems with it for approx 40k miles.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L