Re: My truck and my first questions!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 10:10:59 EDT

>>Are the "xenon" or other super white bulbs that are available
>>appreciable better? I have also seen "off-road" versions of these
>>bulbs that are rated 80-100 watts on the high beam side. Can
>>the stock wiring handle the extra current?

Welcome back to the list.

I wasn't been able to find anyone in my neck of woods that carries
the Sylvania Silver Stars or the GE 9007HO for my '97 so i can't
comment on them.

I have tried the Eaglite 9007 65/55W Plasma Xenon gas filled bulbs.
These are HID color appearance (blue coated) but shine white.
They also come in the 100/80W models but I did not get these
as I vaguely recalled reading some reports of them being too "hot"
(for either the lens, wires or switch on the Daks ).

I found the 65/55Ws to both shine and look whiter than the stock bulbs.
More importantly, they fill up the lack of light in upper, central
area of the stock light beams down the road. To these aging eyes, they
also light up the pass. side, road and shoulder surface a lot
better than the stock bulbs. I also use them on my better half's
Grand Caravan with the same results. On the whole, I am
quite satisfied with them and would definitely say that they are
appreciably better.

Downside would be cost ($39.99 CDN a pair) and longevity. Bulbs
on both the Dak and the Caravan have blown after a little more than
a year of use. Of course, I've had a couple stock bulbs blow in this
time span as well :-( I've been told that the higher wattage ones have
even a shorter life span.

Eaglite has been bought by a company called Litech. I've seen
the 100/80Ws in the original Eaglite packaging (may be old stock
still on the shelves) but the 65/55Ws come in the new Litech packaging
(bought a couple of sets yesterday).

Bob