Can't disengage 4wd

From: Don Rey (don.rey@uconn.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2003 - 18:37:36 EDT

I hope I didnt break something!

I'm having serious difficulty disengaging 4H in my 89 Dakota Convertible
(automatic). I went to a local dirt road to give the transfer case a little
massage today. It shifted into 4wd no problem, but now I can't shift out of
it. I've tried driving in reverse, back to drive, etc. I even gave 4L a try.
4L engaged and returned to 4H with no problems. But it still won't return to
2wd. Any suggestions? Does it sound like I broke the transfer case? I drove
conservatively on the dirt road, never over 30mph (rarely over 20). Also,
since the last time I used 4wd (successfully I might add), all I've done is
an oil change and replaced the tires. Thanks in advance!!!

Don
74 Dart Sport 340
89 Dakota Convertible 4x4
www.pbase.com/radon220/mopars