Re: Re: 360 Engine Ticking

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 01:44:40 EDT

John Bell wrote:
> Yep, I'm pretty sure. The Ford and Dodge injectors have that same
> "tick-tick-tick-tick" at idle. You can hear it best running at idle with the
> hood up. My co-worker's F150 King Ranch w/ the 5.4L Triton motor does the
> same thing. Doesn't matter if it's warm or cold.

>>>What you are hearing is the fuel injectors as they pulse open/closed. No
>>>worries, it's just loud that way, and more noticable at idle.

>>Hmm are you sure? I dont know for sure but it seemed to do it after the
>>engine warmed up. I'm going to be paying attention to it more in the
>>next day few days to see what is going on when it happens.

Ok Its not fuel injectors I am hearing I doubt. I could head those
pulsing when the engine runs - but this ticking happens after the
engine has warmed up. I dont know what to make of it. Any ideas??

  I just changed the oil today. Mobil-1 10w30 and a Napa Gold (Wix) oil
filter.

Wasnt a perfect spill-less change - but it was pretty easy. I dont even
have to put the Ram up on stands or ramps. Theres plenty of ground
clearance to change oil.

I also noticed that I am back in the world of CAD's... Central Axle
Disconnects... got one on Christine - the XJ didnt have one - and I
forgot Rams have em - - BLEH!

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/