RE: RE: Amsoil -rebuttal

From: Marc W. Grobe (mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 00:35:23 EDT

I personally don't put a lot of faith into what any car manufacturer
says regarding which oil is best for any given vehicle. I assure you
that it is in Exxon/Mobil's best interest to garner as many of the
prestige/hi perf market as possible. When I purchased my vehicle I was
told Castrol GTX with the Mopar filter is all I would need and Bernd
mentions Mobil 1 oil and filter... Whose dealer is right?

I was just reading recently that Sunoco will be replacing Unocal76 as
the Official NASCAR fuel starting with the 2004 season. Now NASCAR race
teams put their cars through some extreme circumstances so the gas has
got to be really good and I know that everyone that is a NASCAR fan that
wants the best fuel would always pull into their local 76 station
without exception, right? I mean if it is good enough for race day,
then it has to be good enough for my daily driver...

So why does Unocal76 no longer have a contract with NASCAR, has their
quality slipped? Have they been technologically replaced by Sunoco? Or
is it more like Sunoco wanted that contract more than the other
petroleum manufacturers and thus had the best offer to NASCAR...

It's like product placement within a movie. Why does several Coca Cola
cans keep reappearing throughout one of your favorite movies with your
favorite actor/actress? Was it because the producers really love Coca
Cola and wanted to extol the virtues of it via the movie? Or did Coke
pony up some bucks to be associated with that movie and the movie actor?

So which is better? Amsoil or Mobil One? I read on a different list
from someone that worked in the petroleum industry as some sort of
claims investigator. Whenever there had been a claim of engine failure
related to an oil issue he had to determine what was the cause of the
failure. His words are that Amsoil, Mobil and Redline are the only
synthetics that he would recommend for use. He personally had been
using Amsoil for a number of years, but had recently switched to Mobil
do to availability issues with Amsoil after relocating to another area
of the US. He claimed that Amsoil was marginally better than Mobil One.
What it came down to was if you were inclined to do extended drain
intervals, then your best choice would be Amsoil. If not, then Mobil or
Redline would be plenty good and more financially suitable.

The bottom-line for me personally is that I have experience using Mobil
One on my three vehicles. I had no complaints whatsoever regarding its
performance during that time. However, I have changed over to Amsoil in
all three of my Mopar vehicles over the last three years. The reason I
changed had entirely to do with my desire to use longer drain intervals.
I also became reacquainted with my old High School Auto teacher who was
a Dodge mechanic that had been using Amsoil and extended drain intervals
for something like the last 10 years. Said if I had oil related engine
failure he would do the work for me.

Just my own thoughts.

-Marc-