Re: JBA header install

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 22:15:25 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> so I got my headers on with relatively few problems, but it took an
> embarrassingly long time - on the order of about 8 hours of nearly
> constant work. Two things really slowed me down - one of the y-pipe
> flange bolts refused to budge and I had to dremel it off, and none of
> the 4 bolt heads were a real size. I think the main problem with the
> one that refused to budge is that due to the oil filter I couldn't get a
> good grip on it with the crescent wrench. Once I got a well-tightened
> crescent on the other three bolts (a real exercise in pain tolerance for
> the rear bolt on the passenger side) I was able to loosen them and the
> rest went pretty smoothly. for those interested, here's a blow-by-blow:
>
> at around noon I headed out to the lot to start work. the first thing I
> did was give everything I could get at a very health squirt of WD40.
> Then I got my tools accessible, and pulled off my K&N FPIK.
>
> I started on the manifold removal by pulling off the heat shields.
> Their mounting points are actually studs that have multiple nuts on
> them. on 3 out of 4, the nuts came off and the remaining nut stuck on
> the stud and the whole thing came out.
>
> I was then able to see the rest of the mounting points, and soaked them
> down, too. Rather than do the smart thing and immediately move from
> this point to the y pipe flanges, I continued on the easier path of
> continuing on removal of the manifold bolts.
>
> Once I'd removed all but one mounting bolt/stud on each side removed I
> went on to the flanges. The bolt I started with was the absolute
> hardest - the front on the passenger side. The first - and most
> frustrating - thing I found was that the bolt heads were a size that
> does not exist. neither 13mm nor 1/2" would go on, and 14mm and 9/16"
> were both much too large. and no, they were not notably rusted or
> dirty. the scale on my crescent wrench put them at about 13.3mm or a
> hair smaller than 17/32". I was unable to get my crescent on the front
> passenger bolt, even with anne's help, so I resorted to getting my
> dremel to cut it off. that took about an hour or so to do since I can't
> run my dremel at full speed or full load on my 140 watt inverter.
>
> I started cutting on the second passenger side bolt, but couldn't see
> well enough to do much of anything, so I moved on to the driver's side.
> Over there, I had massively much more room, and I was able to get
> easily to the other side of the flange, and I was able to take it
> apart. I then pulled off the driver's side manifold, which came out
> very smoothly.
>
> I navigated the header into place, and very loosely installed the front
> and rearmost bolts, intending to navigate the gasket between the header
> and block, since that's technically how it's suppose to work. I put a
> small bead of ultra copper around the exhaust ports on both sides of the
> gasket, and began navigating it into place. I immediately realized that
> [...]

MMMm headers... (ponders) hmm - headers would compliment my
muffler-less exhaust pretty well i would think. And considering how
large the engine bay in the Ram is... it would go pretty easy.

Congradulations on a successful install Mike :) Your discovery of mud
in the TB is very alarming. However I must admit its not that
suprising. A quart every 3000 miles? Thats moderate consumption. How
much did it use (if any) prior to the BBQ?

Watch the oil comsumption carefully... I didnt think I did any damage
to christines engine last year but the more I drove the worse the rings
got until it was puffing blue smoke out the exhaust.

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/