Re: Re: Oil Consumption

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 10:48:50 EDT

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 09:48 AM, DAKSY wrote:

>> <snip> A quart every 3000 miles is not moderate consumption for a '98
>> Vintage engine. That's HIGH
>> consumption. <snip>
>
> The last 2 oil changes on the DAKSY have indicated that she is also
> losing
> oil, at about a quart per every 3k - 3.5k...

how many miles on her?

>> <snip> I'd be looking to find out where that oil is going and correct
>> it<snip>
>
> I can find no external evidence of a leak anywhere on the engine. The
> front
> crank seal has been replaced (@62k), & it's not leaking there...

my block has always been dry. dirty, but dry. even the trans line
leak that I have is missing it :^D

>> <snip>First things that come to mind are belly pan gasket,<snip>
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a belly pan leak result in loss
> of
> power or a noticeable ping?
> She still runs strong for a V6...& I cleaned the TB about 2 months ago
> &
> there was no evidence of any oil "puddling on the BP when I looked
> thru the
> TB...
>
>> <snip>...rings, valve guides...<snip>
>
> Wouldn't I see evidence of blue/white smoke on start-up, if either of
> these
> 2 had leaks?

I'd expect so. the '91 Safari my parents just got rid of (4.3 v6)
puffed blue on startup for the last half of it's life (from ~90k
through 170k), which we always figured was valve guides or oil rings.
it rarely lost more than a quart per o/c, so with blowby minor enough
not to be visible, there's no way we'd be loosing a noticeable amount
of oil.

I didn't think to look down the tb into the bp area when I was wiping
it out, but below the butterflies it was definitely rather black. I
didn't think much of it, but what the hell: is that normal?

The only wet spots I see under the truck are where I should have used
some RTV on the bung I put in my trans pan for it's temp sender and the
trans cooler line. the 10¢ patch (ask if you must) for the hole I
shouldn't have drilled in my trans pan (ask if you must) is holding
nicely, I'm rather proud to say. I blame JB Weld ;-)

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech