Re: Oil Consumption

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 09:48:59 EDT

Hey, John,

<snip> A quart every 3000 miles is not moderate consumption for a '98
Vintage engine. That's HIGH
> consumption. <snip>

The last 2 oil changes on the DAKSY have indicated that she is also losing
oil, at about a quart per every 3k - 3.5k...

<snip> I'd be looking to find out where that oil is going and correct
it<snip>

I can find no external evidence of a leak anywhere on the engine. The front
crank seal has been replaced (@62k), & it's not leaking there...

>snip>First things that come to mind are belly pan gasket,<snip>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a belly pan leak result in loss of
power or a noticeable ping?
She still runs strong for a V6...& I cleaned the TB about 2 months ago &
there was no evidence of any oil "puddling on the BP when I looked thru the
TB...

 <snip>...rings, valve guides...<snip>

Wouldn't I see evidence of blue/white smoke on start-up, if either of these
2 had leaks?

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
(at 73K now...)
Averill Park, NY