Re: Quality Not What It Should be?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 2003 - 11:36:43 EDT

"Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> There have been some recent posts detailing problems with Daks and
> Durangos that are only a few years old... which I find alarming. Josh's
> heater core, fuel economy issues, fuel gauge issues, electrical stuff
etc...

> the heater cores on my abused 14 year old Gen I trucks have never gone
> out... neither have the fuel gauges.. and up until I took Christine for
> a swim - the fuel pumps were both original.
>
> It really bothers me to think that problems of that nature would start
> happening in trucks only a few years old. It makes me worry about my
> new (used) Ram... I haved noticed some quality issues with it already.
> Primmarily cosmetic and superficial - but the drivers side door panel
> feels flimsy and lose... the drivers side window rattles as it rolls
> down.. and the drivers side power door lock switch is a little lose.
> Everything functions... but I think quality and craftsmanship has
suffered.

> Be it related to the take over of Chrysler by Daimler... I dont know.
> But I wouldn't be suprised if that had an effect.
>
> Terrible Tom -- AIM & Yahoo Name: SilverEightynine

I've noticed that as well, Tom. It looks like the quality has gone down
severly. If this is the continuing trend of dodge vehicles, I don't know if
I could buy another one when it's time. Sometimes I want to sell the truck
and take the loss, if I can get something more reliable in it's place.
Then, other times I love it and wouldn't consider selling it for anything.

In the 51k miles I've had this truck, I've had the following replaced:

all 4 ball joints - 2 times under warranty
steering rack including outer tie rod ends
front brakes at 500 miles and again at 48k miles
rear brakes at 50k miles
passenger seat frame (the back broke)
business console trim
driver side window mechanism - twice
both front wheel bearings
shocks
driveshaft and u-joints
transmission
A/C condenser coil (the part under the hood)
upper and lower radiator hoses
cracked thermostat housing
left side striker for the tailgate was added - truck did not come with it
from the factory
swaybar bushings - warranteed at 30k b/c they were cracked

needs to be replaced:
LSD unit - it slips badly, with regular fluid changes at 20k mile intervals
(including friction modifier)
all 4 ball joints
heater core/hoses - yet to pinpoint the problem

seems a little excessive for a 3 year-old truck, yeah? I can't wait for the
2005 redesign of the mustang...

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L