Re: Howdy, I'm new. AND WHERE DO YOU GET FRICKN' TOW HOOKS?!

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 00:33:45 EDT

John Neff wrote:

>>there's a Mopar kit - others have already mentioned it. others here
>>use it, but in my not so humble opinion it Sucks. the hooks are just
>>about dragging on the ground and when you need to use them they'll be
>>buried. they stick out a few inches under the bottom of the air dam.
>>With a good sideways yank, the frame they bolt to hopelessly deforms,
>>too, or so I've heard.
>

> Hangs a couple of inches below the air dam and are just about dragging on the ground? How
> about 1.5" below the air dam? I have them, I know. Sucks? Yeah, show me anything not
> custom fab'd that comes even close to this setup. Bends from a sideways yank? Not hardly
> I've yanked tree stumps out with the Mopar hooks and they are just as straight as they
> ever were. And yes, a couple of those yanks were from a sideways angle. How about some
> solid info next time instead of "or so I've heard".

Not even 1.5" - mine were snugged up pretty close to the airdam, to the
point where the airdam acted as a "keeper" for the strap (didn't have to
worry about it slipping off once you had it on. And those hooks saved
my airdam (and lower part of the radiator) from a few hits when I caught
some ditches at Jon's that I didn't see till it was too late.

That crossmember that comes in the kit stops the bending from sideways
pulling. If John had done with one of those "just strap a hook on the
framerail" setups what he did with his Mopar setup, he probably would
have bent the frame, and that's no good.

IMHO, the Mopar hook setup is pretty damn good. Now that I have holes
in my airdam for hooks ('03), I'm ticked off that I can't get hooks to
fit into them.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------