Re: Howdy, I'm new. AND WHERE DO YOU GET FRICKN' TOW HOOKS?!

From: Michael Maskalans (mike-lists@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 02:58:21 EDT

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 12:22 AM, John Neff wrote:

>> there's a Mopar kit - others have already mentioned it. others here
>> use it, but in my not so humble opinion it Sucks. the hooks are just
>> about dragging on the ground and when you need to use them they'll be
>> buried. they stick out a few inches under the bottom of the air dam.
>> With a good sideways yank, the frame they bolt to hopelessly deforms,
>> too, or so I've heard.
>
> Hangs a couple of inches below the air dam and are just about dragging
> on the ground? How
> about 1.5" below the air dam? I have them, I know. Sucks? Yeah, show
> me anything not
> custom fab'd that comes even close to this setup.

depends on your definition of close. I like not having to get out a
shovel to get to my hooks. I'd rather not be reaching under and IIRC a
bit behind my air dam to get at what's supposed to get me unstuck. The
one time I did get stuck, I would have had to do a bit of digging to
get at them, too. I was on my frame in mud lane, and that means those
hooks would have been plowing.

when I manage to bend both sides of a boxed frame rail with a bumper
and front crossmember also adding rigidity, you can be sure that the
list will be at the top of my list of notifications.

> Bends from a sideways yank? Not hardly
> I've yanked tree stumps out with the Mopar hooks and they are just as
> straight as they
> ever were. And yes, a couple of those yanks were from a sideways
> angle. How about some
> solid info next time instead of "or so I've heard".

okay. how about Neil's truck, as I mentioned. If I understood right
what was being said at the BBQ, the reason his hooks are bolted to the
frame and sticking through the air dam is that one got pretty tweaked
with a sideways yank, but maybe I misunderstood or am misremembering.

regardless of their strength, however, my stance is based mainly on
location. tow hooks don't belong as the lowest thing on the front of a
truck.

--
Michael Maskalans                '98 Dakota SLT CC 4x4 318
details here:              <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak>