RE: Howdy, TOW HOOKS?!

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 22:09:51 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: On Behalf Of John Neff
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 12:23 AM
To: Dakota Mailing List
Subject: Re: DML: Howdy, I'm new

<And yes, a couple of those yanks were from a sideways angle. How about some
solid info next time instead of "or so I've heard".>

 I've been reading this thread with interest, especially after my name came
up.

It's unfortunate that my friend Michael has been taken to task for repeating
my description of the tow hook mount failure.

I'm the one he heard it from.

My opinion of the Dakota tow hook mount is that it is a poorly thought out
add-on for a truck that was never designed to have tow hooks. That's my
conclusion after installing the kit, using it and seeing how it can fail.

If anyone wants to stop by and ring the bell we'll go out to the garage,
inspect the parts, and I'll point out exactly what's wrong with the way it's
designed.
 The mounting tabs that the hooks bolt to, are attached to the truck
crossmember with only one bolt per side.

Under enough load, the bolts, washers, and nuts ( the ones with the cute
little handles welded on) will pull through the holes in the cross member.
If you're fortunate, the rectangular tube won't pull completely through the
air dam.

As much as I respect Adam's opinion, the kit isn't that strong. The vertical
braces are 1/4 inch thick and they will bend. The rectangular tube is 14
gauge. It will bend and twist. Mine was distorted enough that it was
necessary to cut it in half to get it off without further damaging to the
truck.
If I can find somewhere to post the pictures, everyone can take a look.

At approximately the same time the somebody at Dodge decided that putting a
hole in the air dam directly in front of the end of the frame so that hooks
could be attached there, someone else decided that the hooks were not worth
it and the kit was cancelled.