Re: Dakota SRT-8 Maybe

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 07:53:46 EDT

In article <bldlhf$fko$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, ghedlin@theramp.net ("Gary
Hedlin") writes:

> I've been hearing the SRT-8 may have a modified version of the 4.7l and not
> the 5.7 HEMI. Since theyre not changing the chasis for 04, squeezing the
> HEMI in might be too much of a task for DC's engineers.

The SRT-8 Magnum is the brand new Chrysler/MB shared rwd car platform and was
planned from the beginning to accept the hemi motor. The August issue of Mopar
Action has a review of the pre-production version of the car. The concept has
the 5.7l hemi with a super charger producing 430hp/480 ft-lbs of torque. The
article stated that when they hit the show rooms in 2004 they will likely have
the 6.1l version of the hemi.

The same issue has pictures and info on the 2004 Durango. It's 4 1/2" wider
with a new stiffer frame that is also designed to accept the hemi motor (photos
were of an R/T version with the hemi). One of the points they made is the
vehicle will now accept 48" wide sheets of building material between the wheel
wells. I can't see how the Dakota won't follow along soon after.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4